The Frankland Arms
 
The Frankland Arms

Built around 1795, the inn was originally known as the Washington Inn. It was later renamed in honour of William Frankland. The inn has been the focus of community life for over 200 years.

Opened as coaching inn on the Worthing to London road, the inn was made famous by the publication of Hilaire Belloc's book, "The Four Men" published in 1912. The book claims that the "swipes" he had at the Washington inn "are the very best I know". Sadly, the Mitchell's Brewery that supplied the beer that Belloc enjoyed so much, closed not long after the book was published.

The inn also had another famous visitor in the form of Dave Allen, the comedian. He used the Frankland Arms for several of his sketches both inside the pub and out on the downs.

In the past the inn has accepted some strange currencies. In 1866, a ploughing team unearthed a large pot containing thousands of "pieces of tin". The yokels failed to realise the significance of the find and traded the tin for quarts of ale at the Frankland Arms. Fortunately the postmaster and Reverend realised that the tin pieces were ancient coins and contacted the British Museum. Their experts confirmed that the find was actually 3000 coins from the reign of Edward the Confessor and his successor Harold.

In the early 1930's the inn was taken over by the Ashtons. When they arrived to the view the pub, they were informed that the current landlord had died, moreover, he was still lying in the bed upstairs! Despite this greeting, they were undaunted and took over the inn. They had previously run a hotel in Manchester and within six weeks of them taking over, the old village inn had been transformed with electric lighting, carpets and new toilets, thus setting the scene for the "family friendly" surroundings of the modern day Frankland Arms.

Frankland Arms Beer Garden
 
Frankland Arms
Frankland Arms Pub Sign

The Bar at the Frankland Arms